East Wing / Kennedy Hall

east_wing.jpgIn 1901 Legislature appropriated money for the construction of East Wing. In 1904 East Wing was constructed with 14,284 sq. ft. of usable space. The building contained administrative offices, classrooms, a library, and an auditorium that seated 600.

In 1955 East Wing was renamed Kennedy Hall in honor of C. B. Kennedy, the donor of the original 20 acre college site. In 1956 Kennedy Hall gained an addition which added the physical science rooms and a library. In 1957 a new student lounge was added to Kennedy Hall. Three years later in 1960 a 3-story addition to Kennedy Hall was completed.

east_wing2.jpgkennedy_hall.jpgkennedy_hall_addition.jpgkennedy_hall_library.jpgkennedy_hall_chapel.jpgkennedy_hall_auditorium2.jpgkennedy_hall_auditorium.jpg

1983 was the final year classes were held in Kennedy Hall, as a portion of the east wall collapsed due to storm damage. The building had to be closed, and by 1986 Kennedy Hall was removed. A year later in 1987 the Kennedy Center was built on the old site of Kennedy Hall.


 

Source:

Olson, Bonnie. Historical Calendar of Dakota State University (1881-2004). Madison, SD: Dakota State University.