Heating Plant / Physical Plant

heating_plant.jpgThe original heating plant was built from 1898 and 1899 at a cost of $4,000. In 1907 the smokestack was added, and the building was expanded in 1913 to include the power house.

Construction of the current Physical Plant on campus began in 1970 and was completed in 1971. The 12,270 square foot new plant features three boilers, providing up to 221,000 square feet of radiation heating, a central warehouse for campus deliveries, offices, motor pool, and electrical, paint, plumbing, mechanical, and carpenter workshops all at a price of $463,704. The old, obsolete plant was unable to adequately serve the heating needs of the campus and was removed to make way for the new plant.

heating_plant_destruction.jpg

 

 

In 1941 the college held a memorial for Claude Tyrrell, former Superintendent of Buildings, who suffered a fatal scaffold accident while inspecting what was then East Wing. Claude's son was born the same year and later served Dakota State Director of Special Services, dean, and registrar. He retired as "Dean Emeritus" in 1970 only to become director of the Smith-Zimmerman State Historical Museum. On December 9, 1978, there was a formal naming ceremony of the Tyrell Building housing the Dakota State College Physical Plant. The ceremony was held at the Ruth Habeger Science Center Auditorium. The naming honored the Tyrell family who had given a combined total of 60 years of service to Dakota State College.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Source:

Olson, Bonnie, comp. Historical Calendar of Dakota State University (1881-2003). Madison, SD: The Karl E. Mundt Historical and Education Foundation, 2003. 3.

Olson, Bonnie, comp. Historical Calendar of Dakota State University (1881-2003). Madison, SD: The Karl E. Mundt Historical and Education Foundation, 2003. 4.

Kistler, Will. “New physical plant now serves you.” The Eastern 18 Mar. 1971: n.

"Formal Naming Ceremony of the Tyrell Building Housing the Dakota State College Physical Plant." Madison, SD: 1978. Box 93. Folder 14.

Alumni News. Spring 1973