Tunheim Classroom Building

The building currently known as the Tunheim Classroom Building has gone though many changes over the years. The building was originally known as the Science Hall or the Women's Gym. The following will walk through the evolution of the building to its current state.

Science Hall / Women's Gym

womens_gym2.jpgBuilt in 1910, the Science Hall building has been through the most changes of any building on campus. Originally, the first floor held a laboratory and classrooms for chemistry, physics and agriculture. The 60x100 ft. Sioux Falls Granite building also was referred to as the Women's Gym, the second floor held the gymnasium where many social events took place.

womens_gym_construction.jpgA balcony was added around the interior of the gym in 1923. This increased seating capacity but decreased the length of the playing floor.

 

 

 


womens_gym3.jpg

Performing Arts Center

performing_arts_centre.jpgIn 1985, after the Dakota State's mission change, the building known as the Women's Gym was now known as the Performing Arts Center. The lower level contained classrooms where music and theater classes were held. The building's upper level held stadium seating and a stage and where school performances and plays could be held.

 

performing_arts_centre2.jpg

Tunheim Classroom Building

tunheim_classroom_building_auditorium.jpgIn the summer of 2002, significant remodeling and renovation of the building began. In the fall semester of 2003, renovation was completed, and the building was known as the Technology Classroom Building. The layout of the building became very different than when the music and theater departments used the building. With the exception of a few structural walls, the building is completely new.

In 2009 the building was renamed the Tunheim Classroom Building, in honor of President Jerald A. Tunheim.

The first floor now holds two Digital Data Network rooms, a network security lab, offices for Distance Education faculty, a mini kitchen, and other staff offices.

On the second floor there are offices, a computer lab, a music production studio and a 'stadium seating' style lecture hall.

On the third floor, the balcony still exists from the times of the old women's gym. Here one can find work spaces and faculty offices.

tunheim_classroom_building.jpg