DSU Timeline: 1901-1910

1901

  • Ladies' Hall was built and was ready for use in the fall. It served as a dormitory for women and included a kitchen and laundry facilities. This building was made out of Sioux Falls Granite. It consisted of 43 rooms for students, and a bathroom on each floor. There were also two parlors, a reception room and a reading room. In the basement was the students' dining room with a seating capacity of over 100. It also housed a laboratory for the Science Department. Ladies' Hall was heated by steam and lit with incandescent electric lamps.

  • The East Hall Boarding Club was started. This was a self-governing club, largely making and executing their own rules for the dormitory.

  • West Hall Dormitory was now used exclusively for male students. President Beadle was on year's sick leave to regain his health. Professor William W. Girton selected as Acting President (1901-1902). The Legislature appropriated money for construction of East Wing (later called Kennedy Hall).

Class_Day_Exercises_1901_1.jpgClass_Day_Exercises_1901_3.jpg

(click above picture to enlarge)

Class_Day_Exercises_1901_2.jpg

Program for Class Day Exercises June 11, 1901

1901_June_Commencement_Program_cover.jpg1901_Commencement_Program_2.jpg1901__Commencement_Program_3.jpg

1901 Commencement program


1902

  • President Beadle returned as President. This was the first graduating class to wear cap and gowns. The school changed its name to Madison State Normal School. This year was the first to have a mid-winter (January) Commencement. It included 17 graduates.

  • The Science Club was started; they met every two weeks.

 


1903

  • The first Girl's Basketball game occurred. It was versus Brookings College with a win for Madison State Normal School. There were two girls basketball teams at Madison State Normal School; the Reds and the Orangites.

  • The Madison State Normal School Band was organized. An electric light plant was installed north of West Wing (later Beadle Hall). A Tennis Association was organized in the fall semester, although this was not the first time tennis was played on campus. The 40 members were furnished with tennis outfits and had three well-equipped courts.

Girls_BB_1902.jpg

Above : Women's Basketball Team | Below : Band

Band_The_Normal.jpg


1904

Model_School_kindergarden__1908-10_small.jpg

Above : Model School Kindergarten Class | Below : Kennedy Hall Auditorium

kennedyaud2.jpg

  • East Wing (later called Kennedy Hall) was constructed. Mr. Dow of Sioux Falls was the architect. Mr. Hafsos, from Canton was the contractor. It was made of Dell Rapids Granite. The 72x78 foot building had 14,284 usable square feet. It housed administrative offices, classrooms, the library, and multipurpose auditorium and elegant chapel which seated 600.

  • During this time, West Wing (later called Beadle Hall) was used primarily for the Model School (training department). The Library holdings consisted of 3000 books which were cataloged according to the Dewey Decimal System.

Clara_Mackay_Contest_6.6.1904.jpg

Clara Mackay Oratorical Contest

  • The Cross Country Club was organized in September, there were 2 teams - the Reds and Yellows.

Normal_Yell_1905.jpg

The Normal Yell


1905

  • President Beadle retired as president but stayed on as professor of history until 1912 when he retired.

  • John W. Heston, President (1905-1920).

  • First cup trophy won on May 25-26 at the Inter-Normal Meet, which was an athletic and literary contest. This was the first year the Anemone (college yearbook) was published.

Anemone_1905.jpg

Mid-Winter_Commencement_Program_cover_1.20.1905_2.jpgMid-Winter_Commencement_Program_Jan_20_1905_2.jpg

1905 Mid-Winter Commencement Program

  • At this time, property, buildings and equipment were valued at $140,000. There were four buildings on campus.

4_campus_building_1905small.jpg

Debating_Club_1905_small.jpg

Above : Debating Club | Below : Philomathean Literary Society

Philo_Literary_Society_1905.jpg

Baseball_1905_small.jpg

Above : Men's Baseball | Below : Eurosophian Literary Society

Euro_Literary_Society_1905_small.jpg

Junior_Rhetorical_Society_1905_small.jpg

Above : Junior Rhetorical Society


1906

  • The Webster Society was organized. Its goal was to aide in developing the ability of its members in debate, oratory, music and other literary exercises as well as sociability.

Student_Graduation_Class_January_1906.jpg

January Graduates


1907

  • A Smoke-Stack (a large brick chimney) was erected at $2,500. The contract went to Wold & Johnson of Brookings.

Madison_State_Normal_1907_Commencement_invitation.jpg1907 Commencement

  • In the fall, the Girl's Glee Club (pictured below) was formed.

Girls_Glee_Club_1908_small.jpg

  • The Century Club was organized. There were two divisions "A" & "B", due to the large membership. The Century Club's aim was to learn to discipline themselves in oratory and declamation.

Century_Club_1910_Original_cropped_small.jpg

Below : West Hall dormitory & West Wing (Beadle Hall) in the background

State_Normal_1908.jpg


1908

East_Wing_Kennedy_Hall_Early_small.jpg

Above : East Wing | Below : East Hall

EastHall_Early_1909.jpg

 

  • A 40 ft. addition was built onto the north of the Ladies' Hall Dormitory (now called East Hall). It included an enlarged kitchen, laundry & storage rooms. East Wing (later called Kennedy Hall) housed the Executive Office and the elegant chapel, not surpassed by any in the State.

Presidents_Room_1908_small.jpg

Above : East Wing President's Room | Below : East Wing Auditorium

ChapelStateNormal.jpg

Womens_Basketball_Team__1908_small.jpgMens_Basketball_Team_1908_small.jpg

Basketball Teams

Football_Team_1908_small.jpg

Above : Football Team | Below : Baseball Team

Baseball_1908_cropped_small.jpg

Class_of_1908_small.jpg

Class of 1908


1909

  • The abandoned West Hall (Men's Dormitory) (36' X 86') located on the southwest end of campus was torn down to build a Science Hall & Gymnasium building in its place. Some of the West Hall building materials were salvaged for construction of the new building.

  • In the fall, Madison State Normal Orchestra was organized.

Orchestra_1909_small.jpg

Orchestra


1910


Science_Hall_Gym_1910_girls_small.jpg

Women's Gym

  • Dr. Heston's interest in Industrial education in relation to teacher education moved him to build the Science Hall. Sioux Falls Granite was used in the erection of the 60x100 Science Hall and Gymnasium (later called Women's Gym and then Performing Art Center and presently named TCB - Tunheim Classroom Building). This building was located on the southwest end of campus. The first floor housed the laboratory, classroom facilities for chemistry, physics and agriculture, and a large lecture room. The 2nd floor housed the gymnasium. Science was introduced through the establishment of courses in chemistry and domestic science. Many social events took place in this building as well.

  • Tuition was at $2.00 per quarter, which consisted of 12 weeks. Tuition, room and board, books and fees totaled $135.65 for nine month period (3 quarters).

East_Hall_Girls_Parlor_Meeting_1910_small.jpg

East_Hall_Dorm_Room_1910_small.jpg

East Hall Dorm Room

  • New cement walks were laid on campus.

Girls_Basketball_1910_photo__cropped_small.jpg

Reasons_for_attending_NSN_school_1910_small.jpg

(click to enlarge)