DSU Timeline: 1921-1930

1921

  • Enrollment was 76 students. Tuition was $12.00
  • The college officially adopted the name change to Eastern State Normal School.
  • The State of South Dakota acquired a house and lot to be used for dormitory purposes to accommodate an overflow from East Hall. It was named Girton House after Professor W.W. Girton who built the house. Professor Girton began working on campus in 1896 as a secretary/treasurer and instructor. He was selected as acting president from 1901-1902.

First, Second, and Third Year Elementary Students (respectively)

First_Year_Intermediate_1922_small.jpg

Second_Year_Intermediate_1922_small.jpg

Third_Year_Intermediate_1922_small.jpg

First_Year_Elementary_1922_small.jpg

Above : First Year Intermediate Students | Below : Second Year Elementary Students

Second_Year_Elementary_1922_small.jpg

  • A World War I Memorial was dedicated on campus on November 11, 1921. It was placed near the southwest entrance of campus. The names on the plaque are those of the male students from the college who served in World War I. B.M. Lawrence and C.C. Wagner were instrumental in raising the funds for this memorial. Donations were made by faculty, students, and friends of the college.

Commercial_Department_1922__2_cropped_small.jpg

Commercial Department

  • The aim of the Commercial Department was to train students to become first class office assistants.

East_Hall_Govenment_Officers_1922_cropped.jpg

East Hall Government Officers

Womens_Baskeball_1921_small.jpg

Women's Basketball Team

  • The Model School became known as the Eastern Campus School. This school consisted of three departments: Kindergarten-Primary, Intermediate, and Junior High. Kindergarten was kindergarten through second grade. Intermediate was third through sixth grade. Junior High was seventh through ninth grades.

Faculty_E_L_Bolender_circa_1921cropped.jpgFaculty member E.L. Bolender


1922

  • The first Homecoming, called Pioneer Day was inaugurated with a parade in October, 1922.

Scouting_1922-1923_small.jpg

Above : Campus Girl Scouts| Below : Orchestra

Orchestra__1922-1923_small.jpg

Mens_Basketball_1922-1923_small.jpg

Men's Basketball Team

  • Kappa Sigma Iotawas organized in June. The organization's goal was to promote and recognize scholastic achievement. It became one of the most active campus organizations.
  • A student health service was organized with R.S. Westaby as the first school doctor and also a hospital administrator.

Madison_hospital_with_amblance_cropped_small.jpg

Madison Hospital

Alma_Mater_1922-1923_cropped_small.jpg

School Song (click to enlarge)

  • The athletic teams were called the Warriors during this year.

Nurse_Classes_1922-1923_small.jpg

Above : Nurse Class | Below : Elementary Classes

Elementary_Classes_1922-1923_small.jpg

Intermediate_Class_Roll1923_small.jpg

Intermediate Classes


1923

  • Homecoming was changed from Pioneer Day to Eastern Frontier Day. There was a free barbeque for the public, 6,000 people were served. The first Homecoming Queen "Miss Eastern" was elected. Her name was Miss Gladys Meade of Fedora.

Frontier_Day__Parade_1923_1_small.jpg

Eastern Frontier Day Parade

Frontier_Day_1923_small.jpg

  • The Garden Theater was built at a cost of 5,000 dollars. It was surrounded by a high trimmed buckthorn hedge wall. Shade trees were moved from around campus to this area. It had a capacity of 2,000 people. It stood on the southwest cornerof campus, where Lowry Hall is now.
  • The Academy Department of the college was eliminated and only high school graduates were admitted. The College became a four-year teachers college, students would graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Education.
  • The "E" Clubwas organized, it was a men's athletic organization. In order to become a member a student needed to earn a letter in football, basketball, or track.
  • A balcony was added to the Science Hall gymnasium area to increase the seating capacity. However, it also decreased the length of the playing floor.

Womens_Gym_-GYM_small.jpg

Gymnasium Balcony

Eastern_Normal_Chorus_1923-1924_small.jpg

Chorus

Basketball_Mens_1923-24_cropped_small.jpg

Men's Basketball Team

Football_Team_1923-24_2_cropped_small.jpg

Football Team

Lincoln_Debating_Club_1923-1924_small.jpg

Above : Debate Club| Below : Kappa Sigma Iota

Kappa_Sigma_Iota_Honor_Society_1923-1924_small.jpg

Anemone_Staff__1923-1924_small.jpg

Anemone Staff

Girls_Glee_Club_1923-1924_small.jpg

Above : Women's Glee Club | Below : Men's Glee Club

Mens_Glee_Club__1924_small.jpg


1924

  • Eastern's first Student Councilwas organized.
  • The first Bachelor's graduation ceremony was held. Five Students graduated from Eastern State Normal School with a Bachelor's of Science in Education.

Eastern_Day_1924-25_cropped_small.jpg

Snapshots from Eastern Day

  • Girton House was home to the nurses during their three year course program at the Madison Hospital.

Nurses_1924-25_cropped_small.jpg

Nursing Students

  • The first Music Contest in the state was held on May 1st and 2nd, 1924 at Eastern state Teachers College.

Music_Contest_State_Winners_1924_small.jpg

State Music Contest Winners

  • The campus training school was reorganized into a Rural Department to train teachers for work in rural communities.

Rural_Club_1924_small.jpg

Rural Club Students

  • The Women's Athletic Association (WAA) organization officially started. Some of the sports they sponsored were hockey, hiking, tumbling, dancing, volleyball, baseball, basketball, tennis and track.

WAA_1926-1927_small.jpg

Women's Athletic Association

Campus_SchoolmJunior_High_School_Class_1924-1925_small.jpg

Campus School Junior High Students

  • The Journalism Class published the weekly school newspaper, The Eastern

Eastern_Staff_1924-25_small.jpg

Eastern Staff

Football_Squad__1924_cropped_small.jpg

Football Team

Mens_Basketball_1924-25_small.jpg

Basketball Team


Cheerleaders_1924-25_small.jpg

Cheerleaders

Monogram_Club_1925_small.jpg

"E" Club

Dramatics_Class_1924-1925_small.jpg

Above : Dramatics Class | Below : The play "Elijah" cast

Elijah_Chorus_Play_1924-1925_small.jpg

Anemone_Staff_1924-25_small.jpg

Above : Anemone Staff | Below : Kappa Phi Sigma

Kappa_Phi_Sigma_1924-25_small.jpg

Student_Senate_1924-1925_small.jpg

Above : Student Senate | Below : Y.W.C.A

YWCA_1924-25_cropped_small.jpg

  • The Young Men's Christian Association (Y.M.C.A.) was started on campus. The Young Women's Christian Associate (Y.W.C.A) had been active on campus for many years. Two spacious rooms on the second floor of East Hall were set aside for these organizations.

 


1925


Field_Day_1925-1926__cropped.jpg

Field Day


1926

  • Enrollment at the college was at 380 students and tuition was $50.00.
  • The Eastern Alumni Organization was started.

Eastern_Day__1926_small.jpg

Eastern_Day__Parade_1926__6_small.jpg

Eastern Day Parade

Eastern_Day__Parade_1926_10_small.jpg

Eastern_Day_1926_small.jpg

 

  • There were three schools in the Madison area that were used for student teaching. The Campus School was located on the college campus. Washington Grade School was a public school located in Madison. There was also a rural school located six miles southeast of Madison which helped to train rural school teachers.


Washington_School_small.jpg

Washington School

Campus_Training_School_1927_cropped_small.jpg

Campus Training School

  • The Madison Chapter of the A.A.U.W. started in May.

Kappa_Sigma_Iota_1926-1927_small.jpg

Student_Council_1926-1927_small.jpg

Forensics_1926-1927_small.jpg

Forensics

  • This year the college was the first in the state to have a definite Intramural Athletic program for men.

E_Club_1926-1927_small.jpg

Above : "E" Club | Below : Chorus

Chorus_1926-1927_small.jpg

Pep_Band_1926-1927_small.jpg

  • A football field was allocated on campus for practice and games. Prior to the construction of this field, the events had occurred on the City of Madison's athletic field.

1927

  • The first football game was played on the new campus athletic field.
  • Field Day was now known as First Awards Day.

Mens_Basketball_Team_1927_small.jpg

Above : Men's Basketball

Rural_Club_1926-1927_small.jpg

WAA_1926-1927_small.jpg

Women's Athletic Association

  • In October, Karl E. Mundt organized the Eastern News Service. There were 70 students in this club.

Karl_Mundt_before_in_office_small.jpg

Professor Karl E. Mundt

  • The Dauber's Art Club was founded.
  • The "E" Club revised their constitution and was permanently established.

The_Daubers__1926-1927_small.jpg

The Daubers

E_Club_1926-1927_small.jpg

"E" Club


1928

  • The official name for the college athletic teams were the Trojans

Intermural_Sports_Teams_1927-1928_small.jpg

Intramural Teams

  • Le Cercle Francais was organized through the efforts of Mrs. Mary Mundt. This clubs goal was to promote interest in the French language.

Le_Cercle_Francais_Club_1929_small.jpg

Le Cercle Francais

Mary_Mundt__1930_small.jpg

Mrs. Mary Mundt

  • The Kindergarten-Primary Club(K.P. Club) was organized. It was composed of students who were planning to teach children in Kindergarten through second grade.

Kindergarten-Primary_Club_1928_small.jpg

Kindergarten-Primary Club


1929

  • A chapter of Phi Sigma Pi was established at Eastern. This was an honorary undergraduate educational fraternity.
  • The college yearbook was called the Trojan.
  • The Henkin residence at 304 NE 4th Street was rented to house the male students and became known as the "Trojan Hermitage." Professor Pease (pictured below) and his radio class installed a new electric radio in the house.

Mr._Pease_smaller.jpg

Kappa_Sigma_Iota_1928-1929_small.jpg

Above : Kappa Sigma Iota| Below : Debate Club

Debate_Club_1928-1929_cropped_small.jpg

Band_1928-1929_small.jpg

Above : Band | Below : Student Council

Student_Council_1928-1929_small.jpg

E_Club_1928-1929_small.jpg

Above : "E" Club | Below : Football Team

Football_Squad_1928-1929_cropped_small.jpg

Womens_Glee_Club_1928-1929_cropped_small.jpg

Glee Clubs

Mens_Glee_Club_1928-1929_small.jpg

  • 'Skip Day' was introduced this year. All students had a day off of classes for an unexpected vacation.
  • A new Science Club was organized. The purpose of this club was to further science and mathematics at Eastern.
  • Production started on a documentary film titled 'Dacotah' which chronicled the early history of South Dakota and the personal life of General William H.H. Beadle. It was the first all college picture of its kind in the United States. Mr. L.N. Pease portrayed General Beadle. The scenario was written by Barrett Lowe who was the originator of the idea as well as the general supervisor. The film was first shown on Eastern Day, October 19, 1929 and was shown in colleges all over the country.

Barrett_Lowe_small.jpg

Above : Barret Lowe | Below : 'Dacotah' Program

Dakotah_program_1929_small.jpg

dakotah_Gen_Beadle_small.jpg

dakotah__info_small.jpg

Dacotah_wagon_2_people_small.jpg

Dacotah_Beadle_horses_small.jpg

Dacotah__dancing_in_sod_house_1929_cropped_small.jpg

Dacotah_wagon_small.jpg

dakotah_prairie_fire_1929_cropped_small.jpg

All Above : Scenes from 'Dacotah'


1930

  • Tuition was $16.67 per quarter and the total cost of nine months of schooling was approximately $280.00.
  • Enrollment reached 418.

East_Hall_Prom_1929-1930_small.jpg

  • The annual Prom was hosted by W.A.A. and the "E" Club.

Homecoming_Contest_1929_2_small.jpg

Homecoming Contests

Homecoming_Contest_1929_small.jpg

Mens_Basketball_1929-1930_cropped_small.jpg

Football_Squad__1929_cropped_small.jpg

Above : Football Team

  • The "Trojan Hermitage" moved to the Stockberger residence at 705 N. Egan.
  • The Theta Chapter of Pi Kappa Delta, National Honorary Speech Fraternity was founded on the Eastern campus.

Student_Council__1929-1930_cropped_small.jpg

Above : Student Council | Below : Trojan Staff

Trojan_Staff_1929-1930_cropped_small.jpg