DSU Timeline: 1951-1960

1951

  • No notable events occured.

1952

  • West Wing (Beadle Hall) renovation. Now a modern fire-resistant structure - $150,000. General contractor was the S.F. Construction Co.

1953

Homecoming_Activities_1953.jpg

Senator Karl E. Mundt delivers address at Homecoming Dinner

  • Snack Bar added in basement of East Hall in Tower Room. The bar could accommodate up to 40 people.

Varsity_Club_1953-54.jpg

Above : Men's Varsity Club | Below : Sweetheart Dance

Sweetheart_Ball_1954.jpg

WAA_Girls_1953-54.jpg

Above : W.A.A | Below : Cheerleading Squad

Cheerleaders_1954.jpg

Mens_Basketball_Team_1953-54_small.jpg

Above : Men's Basketball Team | Below : Football Team

Football_Team_1953_small.jpg


1954

  • Deagan Celesta Chimes donated by George G. Smith (below) in memory of his South Dakota pioneer parents (cost $7,600)

Smith_George_Donor_Chimes_2_small.jpg

  • Since the original plan of connecting East Wing and West Wing with a large administration building had never been carried out, the buildings would never serve as wings, so it was decided to rename East Wing. In March of 1955, East Wing was renamed Kennedy Hall in honor C. B. Kennedy, the donor of the original twenty-20 acre college site. It housed administrative offices, library, auditorium, bookstore, student lounge, music and speech classrooms. The "Kennedy Hall" sign was donated as a memorial to Mr. Ernie MacDonald who served as East Hall steward for many years.

Whos_Who_1954-1955_small.jpg

Above : Who's Who in American Colleges | Below : Trojan Staff

Trojan_Staff_1954-1955_small.jpg

  • The 1955 graduating class was the 70th class to have graduated from the college.

Opera_Fortune_Teller_1954-1955_small.jpg

Above & Below : "Fortune Teller" Opera

Opera_Fortune_Teller_ballet_1954-1955_small.jpg


1955

  • A group of college students from GBSTC participated in the TV Degree College Quiz Program.

Registration_of_Students.jpg

Registration Day

Registration_1955.jpg

Tutor_Dance_Band_1955.jpg

Tutor Day Dance

Tutor_Dance_1955.jpg

  • Women's Recreation Association(WRA) was an active organization. They were in charge of the Sweetheart Ball and the annual WRA basketball tournament.

Student_Senate_1955-1956.jpg

Above : Student Senate | Below : "Sadie Hawkins" play

Sadie_Hawkins_1955-56.jpg


1956

  • At Kennedy Hall, a two story addition was built onto the north of the building - it housed an addition to the library and physical science laboratory rooms, at a cost of $108,000

Snack_bar_1957.jpg

Above : East Hall Snack Bar | Below : Registration Day Sock Hop

Registration_Evening_Dance_1956.jpg

Tutor_Day_Parade_Float_1956.jpg

Above : Tutor Day Parade | Below : Kennedy Hall Library

Kennedy_Hall_Library_1957.jpg

Womens_Chorus_1956-1957.jpg

Women's and Men's Choir Groups

Mens_Chorus_1956-1957.jpg


1957

  • The a new student lounge in the basement of Kennedy Hall was dedicated (below).

Kennedy_Hall_Lounge_1957.jpg

  • The 1957 Trojan yearbook was dedicated to Miss Lois M. Drake in appreciation of such dedicated service the last 33 years. She taught English and journalism. This year she was adviser to the Trojan Staff.

Commencement_Procession_1958_small.jpg

1957 Commencement

Christian_Union_1957-1958_small.jpg

Above : Christian Union | Below : Cheerleaders

Cheerleaders_1957-1958_small.jpg

  • In 1957, 24.81 acres of additional land, 3 blocks north of campus, was purchased for expansion of college.

WRA_1957-58_small.jpg

Above : W.R.A | Below : Men's Basketball Team

Basketball_Team_1957-58.jpg

  • Property, buildings, and equipment was valued by the State of SD to be $2,781,800. (Land - $110,800, Buildings - $2,405,000, Equipment - $266,000. Based on ENR building construction index 1958)

1958

WRA_1958-59.jpg

Above : W.R.A | Below : Football Game

Football__3_1958.jpg

The_Pirates_1958-1959.jpg

Above : "Pirates" Play | Below : Sweetheart Ball

Sweetheart_Ball_1958-1959.jpg

Student_Senate_1958-1959.jpg

Above : Student Senate | Below : Fine Arts Students

Fine_Arts_Room_West_Wing_Students_1958-59.jpg

Kappa_Sigma_Iota_1958-1959.jpg

Above : Kappa Sigma Iota | Below : History Club

History_Club_1958-1959.jpg

Basketball_Game_1958-1959.jpg

Basketball Game and Crowd

Basketball_Crowd_1958-1959.jpg


1959

Tutor_Day_DANCE_1959.jpg

Above : Tutor Day Dance | Below : Tutor Day Float

Float_Tutor_Day_1959.jpg

  • College Drive was widened and paved.

Science_Club_1959-1960.jpg

Above : Science Club | Below : Lutheran Student Union

Lutheran_Student_Association_1959-1960.jpg

WRA_1959-60.jpg

Above : W.R.A | Below : Men's Basketball Team

Mens_Basketball_Team_1959-60.jpg

Whos_Who_1959-1960.jpg

Above : Who's Who in American Colleges | Below : Christian Union

CHRISTIAN_UNION_1959-1960.jpg

Christmas_Dinner_East_Hall.jpg

Christmas Dinner in East Hall


1960

Student_Senate_1960-61.jpg

Above : Student Senate | Below : Lowry Hall, Autumn

Lowry_Hall_Fall_Color_1960-61.jpg

  • Academic ranking for faculty was introduced.

Varsity_Club_1960-61.jpg

Above : Varsity Club | Below : Student Senate

Student_Senate_1960-61.jpg

Homecoming_Queen_1961.jpg

Above : Tutor Day Royalty | Below : Football Team

Football_Team_1960.jpg

  • Third floor addition added to Kennedy Hall completed - $50,000. This provided for an enlargement of the auditorium stage, a music room and additional classroom and office space. The Library addition that was added four years prior was very useful to the students. It held over 22,000 volumes.

Chorus_1960-61.jpg

Choir and Band

Band_1960-61.jpg

  • This was the first season that baseball was an organized sport on the General Beadle State Teachers College campus.

Cheerleaders_1960-61.jpg

Above : Cheerleaders | Below : Baseball Team

Baseball_Team_1960.jpg

East_Hall_Cafeteria_snack_bar1960.jpg

Above : East Hall Snack Bar | Below : Art Gallery

Art_Displays_1960-61.jpg

Commencement_1961.jpg

Commencement