Dr. Millar was born in Ravinia, South Dakota. He graduated from Bennett County High School in Martin. He enrolled at Chadron, Nebraska State College in 1941, enlisted a year later, and served four years. He was discharged as a first lieutenant, engineers’ corps. The Veteran earned his BS at Chadron in 1947 with majors in physics, chemistry and education, also minors in mathematics and physical education. He earned his M.A. degree in school administration at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, in 1956, with a major in personnel administration and finance. For a year he was chairman of the Department of Science and Mathematics of the Chadron Public Schools, and he coached football. Then he returned to Chadron State as Associate Professor of Science and Mathematics, Assistant Professor of Education and Director of Student Teaching. He subsequently taught at the University of Nebraska and at Mankato, Minnesota State College. He became President of Southern in 1962. The Board of Regents of Higher Education of SD appointed him temporary President of Dakota State College to serve from July 1, 1971, to June 30, 1972, while a search-and-screen committee interviewed applicants for the post.
The Eastern, Vol. 51, No. 35 – 1 July 1971
The Eastern, Vol. 51, No. 32 – 10 July 1971
Dakota State University Archives, Madison, South Dakota. RG 8, DSU
132, Box 855.